Each year, we honor a distinguished agency that has made a significant contribution to the field of humane education.
The purpose of this award is to recognize the outstanding commitment and achievements of agencies involved in advancing humane education in innovative and extraordinary ways. Please read our nominee criteria and award guidelines below for more information.
- Nominees should demonstrate an exceptional commitment to the field of humane education.
- These influential agencies show innovation, creativity, and enthusiasm in their work with one or more of the following areas: human rights, animal protection, and/or environmental ethics.
- They lead by example, inspiring hope and empowering change in their students, colleagues, and/or community.
- Most importantly, they have made a significant and meaningful contribution to the field of humane education by way of instruction, curriculum development, educational theory and pedagogy, program implementation, monetary or in-kind contributions to develop or sustain programming, and/or fostering a culture of compassion and respect for all living beings.
- One award recipient is selected annually. The recipient must be an agency: a nonprofit organization, educational institution, for-profit business, or other type of entity.
- There is no geographic boundary for the award. Candidates may be located anywhere in the world and may specialize in any sector of humane education: human rights, animal protection, environmental ethics, or a combination.
- We rely on nominations to generate the pool of candidates for the award. You are not required to be a partner of the Humane Education Coalition to submit a nomination or be considered for an award, although partner agencies receive priority consideration (we encourage you to join us!). You may nominate more than one agency, and you may also nominate your own agency.
- Help us protect the planet: We are committed to a paperless award nomination process to reduce paper waste and minimize consumption of natural resources. We kindly request that nominators make every effort to submit any supporting documents electronically.
- The deadline for nominations is August 1 of each year. The award recipient will be notified by August 31.
- A carefully chosen and diverse team of educators, nonprofit professionals, and entrepreneurs make up our Award Committee. They convene annually in August to review all nominations using a detailed rubric and selection criteria. The Award Committee draws upon their extensive experience to diplomatically select the award recipient. These individuals are in no way affiliated with nominees and have been carefully screened to ensure there is no conflict of interest for award selection.
- Following the distribution of the award, the Coalition will publicly share the recipient's story and will request photo(s) to include with media releases and online communications. The award recipient may be asked to participate in additional recognition activities.