Help us honor a distinguished organization that has made a significant contribution to humane education.
The purpose of the excellence award is to recognize the outstanding commitment and achievements of organizations involved in advancing humane education in innovative and extraordinary ways. Please read our criteria and guidelines below for more information.
Nominated organizations should:
- demonstrate an exceptional commitment to humane education by performing work that brings attention and distinction to the field.
- demonstrate extensive knowledge and competence in a wide range of humane education topics.
- show innovation, creativity, and enthusiasm in their work within one or more of the following areas: human rights, animal protection, and/or environmental ethics.
- lead by example, inspiring hope and empowering change in the learners and/or communities they serve.
- demonstrate an ability and willingness to work positively, respectfully, and effectively with others to advance the field of humane education.
- have made a significant and meaningful contribution to humane education in the last 12 months by way of instruction, curriculum development, educational theory and pedagogy, program implementation, monetary or in-kind contributions to develop or sustain programming, and/or fostering a culture of compassion and respect for all living beings.
- One award recipient is selected annually. The recipient must be an organization: a nonprofit, educational institution, for-profit business, or other type of entity.
- There is no geographic boundary for the award. Candidates may be located anywhere in the world and may specialize in any sector of humane education: human rights, animal protection, environmental ethics, or a combination.
- We rely on nominations to generate the pool of candidates for the award. You are not required to be a partner of the Humane Education Coalition to submit a nomination or be considered for an award, although partners receive priority consideration (we encourage you to join us!). You may nominate more than one organization, and you may also nominate your own organization.
- The deadline for nominations is August 1 of each year. The recipient will be notified in September.
- A carefully chosen and diverse team of educators, nonprofit professionals, and entrepreneurs make up our Award Committee. They convene annually to review all nominations using a detailed selection criteria and evaluation instrument. The committee draws upon their extensive experience to select the award recipient. They have been carefully screened to ensure there is no conflict of interest for award selection.
- Following the distribution of the award, the Coalition will share the recipient's story and request photo(s) to include with media releases and other communications. The award recipient may be asked to participate in additional recognition activities.
- Help us protect the planet: We are committed to a paperless award nomination process to reduce waste and minimize consumption of natural resources. We kindly request that nominators make every effort to submit any supporting documents electronically.